Garage door safety - Things you need to know
Most homeowners want their garage doors to run smoothly and operate as designed every day. Besides working properly, it is also important that the doors perform safely.
Due to their design and weight, garage doors are dangerous if handled improperly. That is why it is important that every step is taken to ensure proper operation of the garage doors.
Here are a few safety tips for homeowners to follow to avoid injury either to themselves or to their family members and visitors to their homes.
- Understand that garage doors are not intended to be toys. They are heavy and dangerous and like other potentially deadly equipment should be handled correctly.
- Keep children and pets away from the garage door. Never allow them to play with the doors or the garage door opener system. Children should never be allowed to run under, play near or stand close to the garage doors especially during operation or when they are moving.
- Garage door remote controls are not toys. Allowing children to play with them is very dangerous and could be deadly to residents and visitors. Whether it is the remote control or the push button wall control, it is important not to allow children to play with them. Push button wall mounted controls should be placed at least five feet from the floor to prevent curious kids from accessing them easily.
- Never attempt to enter the garage by racing under a moving garage door. Wait until the door is fully open before attempting to enter the garage. Never allow children to play under a moving garage door.
- Always keep the garage door in view during operation. As an adult, never allow children near it. Make sure the area is completely clear while the door is closing or opening.
- Keep fingers, hands and feet away from sections of the garage door to avoid injury.
- Keep the garage door properly maintained to ensure smooth operation. This is not only good for your wallet; it is also good for safety. An unbalanced garage door is one of the most dangerous things to have around the house.
These are just a few of the steps to take to ensure your garage door operates safely. Call us at 281-970-3667 if you need help securing your garage door or door opener in Houston, Texas.